Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Happily Ever After

September 1, 2014

Hola familia!

First I have to say Happy Anniversary to the most beautiful couple in the world! Would you believe that I actually did remember on the day?? Anyway I love you guys so much! And I can´t tell you how much of a blessing it is to have parents that have been married for as long as you guys have... (cough cough... 31 years...). You guys should give some lessons to the population of Chile... ¨Oh we´re not married but we´ve been living together for 30 years.¨  'Oh that´s interesting and why haven´t you guys gotten married after all this time?¨  ¨Well really we just don´t like the idea of commitment¨  ¨And do you guys have kids together?¨ ¨Yes we have 5¨  "And would you like to live forever with your family?¨ Oh yes, we would like that more than anything.¨  ...............  I just have to shake my head. But thank you for being married and happy! Here´s to an eternity more for us!!

Speaking of marriage, I have news for you guys! This week I was proposed to. It was really romantic actually. This old man stops us in the street and he starts talking to us. At first I wasn´t really listening because I was distracted by the beautiful yellow kernels that used to be his teeth. Anyway he said he was a member of the church, which I didn´t really believe but then he was asking us for a copy of the Doctrine and Covenants. Then he starts asking us where we´re from and all that. Then he starts telling us about his Patriarchal blessing and that it says that one day he will meet a girl more beautiful than the sun and they will be married. And then he looked me right in the eye and asked me to marry him. I felt like I was in a Disney movie. We´d only met a few minutes before and he was already planning the wedding. So I said yes! We will be married next week and live happily ever after! Haha jk..... I told him no, but he was very accommodating and told me that he´d even come to the United States. And even after I said no, he still gave me this old, stretched out hair tie he had around his waist. He put it right on my wrist. My comp was just bursting out laughing!

Anyway this week we had cambios and I was called to be a trainer! I can´t say that I was completely surprised when I got the phone call because a week ago when we were in Viña I was talking to the Mission President in the office while we were waiting for papers and he was like, 'so are you ready to train? He didn´t say anything after that though but I felt like it was probably coming. But my compañera is great! I´m still trying to figure her out though haha, she´s interesting. And has very strong opinions. But I think once she adjusts to the mission she´ll get used to everything and simmer down a little.

So my dream ever since I´ve been in the field is to have a Chilean compañera so I can really understand and learn all the sayings they have here and I can work on and perfect my Chilean accent. And guess where my compañera is from???????? CHILE! But then she moved to Argentina when she was like 3 years old. So much for working on my Chilean accent. By the end of our time together I might need more a(sh)uda (aka ayuda aka help) not talking like an Argentine.. haha. Also like 3 of my compañeras have told me that my Spanish comes out at times like a Mexican. haha, I guess that´s what I get for growing up in California! But then I had a menos activo this week tell me that my Spanish is really good. So who knows what I really sound like....
 
Also this week, we found a few new investigadores that I´m actually really excited to see what happens. One we found contacting. We started walking down another street but then I felt like we should continue contacting the street we were just on. So we went back and like 2 houses later we found Estaban. He´s in his 20s and has like 10 piercings in his face. He´s studied a lot of religions and was just like yeah but how can I KNOW it´s true without convincing myself something is true because I want it to be true. We showed him the promise at the end of the Book of Mormon that if we read and ponder these things and pray with faith asking if they´re true, we will know the truth of all things. He was like so I just have to read and pray about this? YES! I love that about the gospel. The gospel of Jesus Christ is not complicated. God is not a God of complication, he´s a God of simplicity. We just have to ask Him and He´ll respond. I told him that I know that it sounds almost too easy, but really if we just pray with faith we can know.
 
I´m so glad that we can know for ourselves the truth. I´m so glad we don´t have to rely on the words of others, but we can have our own testimony of who God is, who Jesus Christ is, and what they want for us. The gospel is awesome! It unites people, families and allows for perfect happiness even when we are living in a world that isn´t perfect. With the gospel we really will live happily ever after!
 
I love you all and hope you all have a great week! 
Oh and Happy Labor Day!
 
Con todo el amor en mi corazón,
 Hna. Evans

Email sent to notify us that Samantha was made a Trainer:


From: 2011662@LDSChurch.org
Date: August 29, 2014, 11:49:49 AM PDT
To: claytonevans24@gmail.com
Subject: 4-Trainer


TRAINER

 
Dear Evans Family, 

I am pleased to inform you that your missionary, Sister Samantha Nicole Evans, has been assigned to serve as a Trainer in the Chile Vina del Mar Mission. One of the most trusted responsibilities in the mission is to teach and to train a new missionary. 

Sister Evans , has prepared for this responsibility through strict obedience and faithful service. She has demonstrated Her willingness to serve the Lord by the example she has set for her companions and leaders and by the progress she has made in her own personal development. 

I know that Sister Evans will magnify this assignment and will be a credit to you, to the mission, and to the Lord. 

Thank you for supporting your missionary throughout the course of her mission. I pray that the Lord may bless you and your family as this great work continues forward.

 Sincerely,

 Federico M. Kähnlein
Mission President
Chile Vina del Mar Mission
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment